Henfield Common planning enforcement submissions URGENT

Henfield Common planning enforcement submissions URGENT

D BANGS

Henfield Common destruction of rich archaic grassland vegetation, including iconic Chamomile lawn.

Can people please submit a report to the Horsham District Council Planning Enforcement team through this online system:

https://www.horsham.gov.uk/planning/planning-enforcement

Stress the urgency. Destructive works – spraying, drainage, topsoil removal – may re-commence in days.

Contact your local Horsham district councillor to ask for their support: http://horsham.moderngov.co.uk/mgMemberIndex.aspx?bcr=1

The key points here are:

-          The proposed works constitute a “material change of use” of the land and this requires planning permission

-          A full ecological surveys should be completed this year (spring/summer/autumn) as part of the planning application process

-         Chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile) is present in quantity. It is a Section 41 species, protected under Natural Environment and Rural Communities Act 2006

-          The legislation requires that the public authority (Parish Council and District Council) must, in exercising its functions, have regard, so far as is consistent with the proper exercise of those functions, to the purpose of conserving biodiversity (NERC Act 2006)

-          There is a distinctive diversity of other plant and fungi species, some of which may also be protected species – yet to the untrained eye, this may just look like any grassy area.

-          The PC’s own proposed NDP (not approved) identified the area as part of Henfield Common and a Local Green Space. The NDP also had a policy on biodiversity.

Other useful links:

-          NERC Act legislation: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/16/section/41

-          Full list of section 41 species and other conservation designations (search on Chamomile): http://jncc.defra.gov.uk/page-3408

-          Natural England table of action on S41 species: http://publications.naturalengland.org.uk/publication/4958719460769792

Thanks,
Dave Bangs

Broadwater Warren Bioblitz

Twydell, Matthew

Dear All,

RSPB Broadwater Warren is celebrating its 10 year anniversary this year, as part of a programme of events I am hoping to carry out a Bioblitz to celebrate and record what species can be found on the reserve.

I am looking for any naturalists to help survey and record what species are calling Broadwater Warren home.  The event will be held on the 10th of June 2017 from 9am. I am hoping that we can record as much as possible and especially in some of the under recorded taxonomic groups.

If you are not aware of Broadwater Warren, which is situated just south of Tunbridge Wells in East Sussex, it  is a 185ha heathland restoration site which has been converted from a dark conifer plantation to an open lowland heathland landscape. It has a mix of habitats including bog mire, wet woodland, heathland, coppice/deciduous woodland, ponds, streams and a small sandstone quarry.

It would be greatly appreciated if anyone with specific taxonomic knowledge/expertise would like to come and help record species on the reserve. If you are interested in helping out or know of anyone who would be let me know  and feel free to forward them this email.

Please could let me know if you would like to help out and I will send out more information on where to go on the day.

Although the bioblitz is happening on the 10th, if you aren’t able to attend you are welcome to come down to the site throughout the year to help record/survey species, (just let me know when you do and let me know what you find). Any records would be greatly appreciated.

Any questions feel free to email me.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Matt

Matt Twydell

Warden, Weald Reserves

Royal Society for the Protection of Birds

Unit 10, Sham Farm Business, Tunbridge Wells, TN3 9JA

Direct Dial: (01892) 752431

Let's give nature a home

RSPB logo

The RSPB is the country’s largest nature conservation charity, inspiring everyone to give nature a home. Together with our partners, we protect threatened birds and wildlife so our towns, coast and countryside will teem with life once again. We play a leading role in BirdLife International, a worldwide partnership of nature conservation organisations.

The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB) is a registered charity: England and Wales no. 207076, Scotland no. SC037654

This email and any attachments may contain material that is confidential, subject to copyright and intended for the addressee only. If you are not the named recipient you must not use, disclose, reproduce, copy or distribute the contents of this communication. If you have received this in error, please contact the sender and then delete this email from your system. The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB) is a registered charity in England and Wales no. 207076 and in Scotland no. SC037654.