Henfield Common

HenriBrocklebank

Dear Adastrans,

I appreciate that Adastra is a forum that focusses on biological recording chat and from time to time veers into other conservation related topics.

In light of this I will keep this brief.

·        My email to Dave (copied into his previous post) was not an ‘SWT position’, simply an informal email from me to Dave, to update him on the outcome of a meeting.  An SWT position statement is naturally a far more formal piece of text with more context and justifications.

·        The word ‘positive’ was used in reflection of the start of the meeting, which involved heated discussion between Dave and the Parish Council as he described in a previous email.  The fact that we could have some constructive discussion after that, I take as positive.

·        The unfortunate situation with Henfield PC needed some realism and pragmatism as they were legally able to get on with the work without making any changes to their proposed plans.  They had been aggravated by the previous press work and more press work (either national or local) could have closed the door for dialogue entirely.  It is fair to say that SWT and Dave have a difference in opinion on this topic.

·        SWT can’t be everywhere all the time and it is fantastic when local naturalists and communities can inform us of issues like this and we respond when we are able.  We may not always agree on what the approach is, but as we are all essentially wanting to do what is right for the wildlife of Sussex it is great when we can strengthen each other and work together.

Cheers

Henri

Strategy Lead – Conservation Policy

Sussex Wildlife Trust

Sussex Wildlife Trust is a company limited by guarantee under the Companies Act. Registered in England, Company No. 698851. Registered Charity No. 207005. VAT Registration No. 191 305969. Registered Office: Woods Mill, Henfield, West Sussex BN5 9SD. Telephone 01273 492630

Re: Henfield Common

D BANGS
Here's a footnote on Henri's 2nd piece.

It's not worth going over in detail what happened at the meeting of the parish council/SWT/myself on the common. Henri was not present.

What is worth repeating, though, is that the Wildlife Trust did not defend my presence at the meeting, though it was a joint initiative between us, and though the chair of the parish council had himself earlier invited me by email.

Everyone knows the slogan of the labour movement and the Three Musketeers..."All for one and one for all...united we stand divided we fall".

It wouldn't fit as a motto for the Wildlife Trust(s)...

Dave Bangs