Quantcast

Introduction to QGIS course - Friday 28 April

Introduction to QGIS course - Friday 28 April

ClareBlencowe

Greetings Adastrans!

Places available on Introduction to QGIS course – Friday 28 April

Due to demand from Sussex biological recorders we recently organised and ran a QGIS training course in conjunction with expert trainer Matt Davies. There was considerable interest in the course so we have asked Matt to return and run another Introduction to QGIS course on Friday 28 April

QGIS is a freely available open-source Geographic Information System (GIS) and an increasing number of ecologists and biological recorders are using this free GIS software to help them visualise, explore and analyse spatial data.

We have 8 spaces left on the course which we would like to offer to the Adastra community. The course is being offered at well below the market rate to support biological recording in Sussex – so this is a great opportunity to get skilled up in producing your own species distribution and habitat maps.

If you’d like to book, please contact Filma Dyer (SWT Bookings) on 01273 497561.

Please note that attendees will need a laptop with QGIS pre-installed. If you do not have a laptop, but would like to attend the training, please contact SxBRC ([hidden email]) as we have a limited number of laptops we can make available for the day.

Course details

Date: Friday 28 April

Time: 10 am – 4:30 pm

Location: The Classroom, Woods Mill, near Henfield, BN5 9SD

Cost: £30 members of SWT; £42 non-members

To book contact Filma Dyer (SWT Bookings) on 01273 497561

During this course, participants will be introduced to the fundamental concepts of GIS and basic operations of QGIS. A one-day course can only introduce you to GIS. Nevertheless, a series of practical exercises will give participants confidence in their ability to use QGIS and explore its capabilities. By the end of the course participants will be able to:

•             Navigate and describe the QGIS user interface

•             Set up a QGIS project and data management process

•             Capture point, line and polygon data

•             Use the Field Studies Council Tom.Bio plug in to map biological records from spreadsheets

•             Create a PDF map for use in a report

•             Find help and support after the course

No prior knowledge of GIS is required but participants should be comfortable working with computers and managing files. Participants will need to bring their own laptop with QGIS installed. More details will be provided ahead of the course.

Clare Blencowe
BRC Manager

Sussex Biodiversity Record Centre
http://sxbrc.org.uk | 01273 497521

Sussex Wildlife Trust is a company limited by guarantee under the Companies Act. Registered in England, Company No. 698851. Registered Charity No. 207005. VAT Registration No. 191 305969. Registered Office: Woods Mill, Henfield, West Sussex BN5 9SD. Telephone 01273 492630

Re: Introduction to QGIS course - Friday 28 April

frooov
Clare
I had one of SxARG express interest, but will circulate again and ask them to respond directly.
I would like to redo the course being a complete beginner, I have struggled to use what I learnt as I am missing certain key elements, due to lack of decent note taking and memory. Would it be ok for me to call Filma and book on the understanding that if you fill up I will give up my place?

Fee

Sent from Feex