Next week's Shoresearch events

Ward, Sarah

Dear Shoresearchers,

Next week we again have two Shoresearches planned (due to low tides falling at good times of the day!). These Shoresearches are at opposite ends of Sussex: at Pett Level on the Kent side and Chichester Harbour on the Hampshire side.

Pett Level is on Monday 21st August starting at 4:30pm. We are meeting at the car park opposite the Smuggler Inn on Pett Level Road (postcode TN35 4EH). Please note that the pub has its own car park but there are other parking spaces on the road which we ought to be using (unless you intend to use the pub afterwards!).

This beach consists of fringing shingle in the upper, with extensive rocky shore exposed further down. The rocky shore is also comprised of petrified wood which makes it a different environment to other sites we survey. It can also be quite slippery at the bottom due to having a clay-like substrate underfoot – so please ensure supportive footwear is worn. This site was last surveyed by Shoresearch in 2013 – please find attached a past species list.

On Tuesday 22nd August we will be surveying Thornham Point in Chichester Harbour – starting at 3:45pm. This is a new site for Shoresearch and is an entirely different coastal environment to what we normally do. The low tide will reveal a mudflat which is adjacent to saltmarsh – so wellies or waterproof walking boots are definitely recommended! Copperas Point was surveyed in 2012 (which is another site within the Harbour) so I have attached a species list from this survey for reference.

Our meeting point for this survey is at the lay-by at the junction of Thornham Lane and Thorney Road (nearest postcode is PO10 8DD). There are a few parking spaces here. Thornham Marina have very kindly allowed us to also have a few spaces in their car park so if the lay-by is full please proceed to the marina. After the marina is private and difficult to turn so please do not drive past the entrance to the marina car park.

Additionally - I have also found a suitable day to reschedule last week’s cancelled survey in Bognor. This will be Wednesday 20th September at 3:45pm (low tide will be at 18:05 at 0.52m – actually lower than it was last week!). All other details for this survey will be the same.

As ever, please let me know if you intend to attend either (or both!) of next week’s surveys. No need to email if you are not attending.

Best wishes,

Sarah

Sarah Ward - Living Seas Officer
Mobile: 07717 835 039
Direct line: 01273 497 572

twitter

 www.sussexwildlifetrust.org.uk

Sussex Wildlife Trust is a company limited by guarantee under the Companies Act. Registered in England, Company No. 698851. Registered Charity No. 207005. VAT Registration No. 191 305969. Registered Office: Woods Mill, Henfield, West Sussex BN5 9SD. Telephone 01273 492630

Chi Harbour Past Data.pdf (677K) Download Attachment
Pett Level past species list.pdf (831K) Download Attachment