Painted ladies.

e-mail stevep.savage

Hi

I recorded my first painted lady butterflies this year last Sunday http://urbanwildlifejottings.blogspot.co.uk/  I assumed they were due to natural migration but having ready the earlier Adastra discussion, maybe not. Although looking at the records from my garden (back to 2009) – May is usually the month I first record them, some years very few some years quite large numbers.

I understand that recent research suggests that instead of painted ladies arriving on our shores, producing a generation that ends in death in the winter – that instead their movements are part of a migration pattern on a par with the monarch butterflies in the USA.

Steve

Steve Savage

Biologist, Environmental Educator, Wildlife Author

https://exploresussexnature.wordpress.com/about/