Sawflies

Bob Foreman

Dear Adastrans,

For those of you who might find yourselves looking out for Symphyta this weekend (or any other time) there is an article on the front page of the SxBRC website that will be of interest. Patrick Roper has found Privet Sawfly (Macrophya punctumalbum) on a hedge in his garden, this is the first time the species has been recorded in Sussex but, as Patrick notes in his article, it is widespread in Surrey. If you are lucky enough to find this species please let me know at [hidden email] or alternatively, use it as an excellent excuse to try out the new iRecord mobile app (available from the App Store or Google Play).

We have been trying it out here at the Record Centre and it is showing itself to be a really useful addition to the list of mobile recording apps that are now available. Unsurprisingly, it is more limited in its functionality than the iRecord website but is, nevertheless, an excellent way of quickly getting your field observations quickly into the system.

All the best,

Bob

Bob Foreman
Biodiversity Data Lead
Sussex Biodiversity Record Centre
http://sxbrc.org.uk | 01273 497570

Sussex Wildlife Trust is a company limited by guarantee under the Companies Act. Registered in England, Company No. 698851. Registered Charity No. 207005. VAT Registration No. 191 305969. Registered Office: Woods Mill, Henfield, West Sussex BN5 9SD. Telephone 01273 492630

Re: Sawflies

Steven Falk
That's a coincidence, I've been devoting the last couple of weeks to improving my sawfly knowledge in Warwickshire (and taking lots of photos, as some are stunning creatures). I've seen a few Macrophya species, but not sure about this one (may have a search this weekend in some calcareous woods),

Steven

Steven Falk BSc ARCS FRES
Entomologist-Artist-Photographer
mobile: 0781 555 7263
Twitter: @StevenFalk1

Flickr Image library at:

2012 winner of the Royal Entomological Society Marsh Award for Insect Conservation